My cat Maggie has this affectation where she holds up her paw while she looks around. It stems from us trying to get her to take her hairball remedy--you know--the brown goo in a tube. She was the only of our three cats who didn't seem to like it, so I'd put a dab on her paw which would force her to lick it off. After a few times, though, she'd hop away with her paw held up close to her furry chest as if trying to keep it from me. Now she does that all the time, but especially when she's nervous or not sure of what's going on, it seems.
Looking at her today, I realize I do the same thing, on an emotional level. Faced with a difficult situation that I'd rather avoid, I feel cornered, and in my own way I'm Maggie with her paw held close, away from danger. I'm not sure how to change that, how to face it and 'take my medicine', but I suppose being aware is the first step. Then I can work on my reaction, and ultimately, on my fears.
The universe is still telling me to be gentle on myself. Sometimes, though, the message is jumbled up and overpowered by the other side of things; the negative side. It feels inconsistent, but perhaps I'm just not listening closely enough. Or maybe I'm just having a hard time trusting the message at times.
Retiring this blog
4 years ago


3 comments:
Yes, awareness is the first step and I've mastered *that* one. Here's the whole list (which for me, ends for me after "recognize." sigh...):
-recognize
-get comfortable - be still and quiet
-examine what happened
-talk about it
-feel it
-tell yourself the truth
-take care
We live what we learn. These are hard habits to break. Now I sound like I'm quoting song lyrics. True though.
What an incredibly sweet image too, your kitty with its paw up!
Oh, if only I could get those steps down, Emily. Lately, I've just been spiraling out of control. I am going to start my meditation program on Friday, so I'm hoping that, with the other things I do, will keep the "beast" at bay.
Do take care of yourself, Heather; you are such a special person and you deserve the best.
Amy: Maybe it is your turn to write a song---we're waiting!!!
Post a Comment