I'm sitting here, on Gwen's porch, rocking and reading. Suddenly, my thoughts stop with the realization, "I am right where I want to be." And while this gives me pause, it's not entirely shocking. Ask me how I'm doing, these days, and I'll generally tell you, with honesty, "I'm happy!"
Looking back, if years ago I had been asked, "What would an ideal day look like for you?", I have a feeling it would have gone something along these lines:
- Go to work to a job I love
- at an organization that makes a difference in the community.
- At lunchtime, on this beautiful day,
- dine with a wonderful friend
- at a new (to me) delightful eatery downtown
- in this city that I adore. After work,
- head to the CSA (which I help organize) pickup and
- separate the shares of fresh, locally grown, organic veggies with
- our farmer (Tommy, who works hard, complains little, and has very kind eyes).
- This week: sweet and hot peppers, apples, and squash (spaghetti, butternut, and delicata)!
- Then, relax,
- rock on the porch, and
- read a good book.
- Talk to friends as they come by,
- hold a baby,
- give hugs,
- drive home leisurely
- with the windows down
- through a park,
- and eat chocoloate ice cream for dinner.
And this is exactly what my day has been. Yes, the mosquitoes are making a grand feast of me as I sit on the porch. Yes, there are situations I'm dealing with that are not as pleasant as ice cream for dinner. But I'm still happy. I know those things will get wrapped up in time. And my home isn't perfectly arranged. I'm still unpacking and sorting through boxes. But I'm very glad to be here. I'm very glad for my roommate, especially as we mutually provide emotional and spiritual support for each other, beyond even the financial benefit of sharing a house.
More everyday, I am living one of the simple rules of happiness: Find something right now to be happy about. In other words, be happy in the now. Be in the now.
Today at work, one of our managers came in. I said to her, "It's really good to see you. You're one of those people who always have a smile no matter what's going on." "There's no use not to," she replied. And she's right.
After all, it's just a ride.
So, back on the porch, I look back to my book, The Happiness Project, and turn the page. The next section is titled "Enjoy Now."
So--what does your perfect day look like?


1 comments:
Beautiful. As are you. Thanks for sharing. Happy is a very good feeling, isn't it? I'm right there with you, despite all the stuff that nags at me. ((Heather))
Post a Comment