CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fireflies

The bees are loving the comfrey.
On the solstice, I spent some time in my garden, planting some more herbs and enjoying the space. Afterwards I wrote in my journal and just soaked in the beauty and energy of nature and the garden. It's on land belonging to friends, and in more ways than one is a very healing place. As dusk fell the fireflies came out, one by one.  Fireflies have always been magical, and I realized that I have the same wonder watching them now as I did when I was a little girl.

When my sister and I were young, just like any other kid, we’d chase the fireflies and try to catch them. I’d hold one in my hand, peeking through my fingers to see them light up again. Sometimes we’d catch a few in a jar, but after a while, we would set them free.  Even after knowing why fireflies light up, it still doesn’t change the magic. You never know exactly when and where the next firefly will light up, even when you try to guess. But you know they will, and it’s delightful to watch.

My fancies are fireflies, —
Specks of living light
twinkling in the dark.
~Rabindranath Tagore

The Universe has been nudging me lately to “enter the wonder of ‘I don’t know what’s going to happen.’” It’s not something that’s comfortable all of the time, especially when tied to things that I’m deeply longing for. And as I watched the fireflies, I wondered whether I could approach the ‘I don’t know’ parts of my life the way I watch for fireflies. Can I sit back, relax, and just see what happens? Can I delight in each moment of light and joy as it comes, without trying to control when and how it happens? Can I wait, expectantly, without getting wrapped up in the ‘how’s or the ‘when’s? Without getting mad or melancholy when my guesses and expectations are not met? And even when I get to hold it in my hand, can I stay in the wonder of the moment without trying to tie it down? 

The beauty about fireflies is you know there’s a season for them. You don’t know exactly when they’ll show up, but you know they will, without fail, every summer. And so it is with life. Joy will come to light up the darkness; it’s part of the rhythm of life. Step into the wonder of it and let it come when and as it will. And when it does, enjoy it; revel in the wonder of it.



The Flaming Lips: What is the Light?

0 comments: