CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Trilogy: 1. The Pain

[These are three writings from my senior year in high school. They are still so relevant in my life today, and I thought my readers would like to see them also.]



I. The Pain


I am dead

I do not want to sing a song

I do not want to yell and scream

But if anyone bugs me, I will


Go away

leave me alone

You don't really care anyway.

I can tell


The few things that delight

Me right now

Take too much energy

Please don't make me think


I want to curl up in a fetal position

And sleep for a week

And then do nothing for two days

And then slowly work my way

back up to reality


Hopefully then I'll be alive

Hopefully then I'll know all the answers

Hopefully then I'll care.


I am oppressed by an overwhelming fatigue.
It hurts to think
My mind rebels at orders of any kind

I want to do what I want to do

I want to be myself.


Who am I?

I used to know

But now I'm not sure

I want to be on my own

But I don't have the means.

That depresses me.

I feel trapped.


Go away.

You're bugging me.

I don't want to listen to you.

I want to sleep.


Don't make me think.

Why are you making me think

This is stupid.

This is boring

This has no purpose that I can see.


Why does no one believe me?

Have fun

It's not worth it

Believe me —

I know.


Will I ever care again?

Will I ever have the excitement that comes

with understanding?

Will it ever matter again?


When will I be happy?

When will I be free?

When will anyone understand

what is happening to me?


When will I know?

or will I ever

I have gone on too long like this

I am confused.


If I do A, will I enjoy it?

Will I feel that it is worth

it in the end?

Will I be happy?


If I do B, will I ever get anywhere?

Will I be able to afford

what I want and

what I need?

Will I find the answers?

Will I find peace?


If money didn't matter

I know what I would do

I would take a year and travel

and experience life, too.


I would learn to hike the mountains.

I would learn to sail the sky.

I would practice at my painting

and I would camp out in the stars.


I would try my hand at farming

and I would try to see

what Amish folks find

fulfilling in the simple

life they lead.


I would read a lot about

constructing an eco-house

and I would live in step

with nature.

I would somehow find my niche.


Then I would devote my time

To doing what I saw fit.

To keeping up a tidy home

And helping others somehow, too.


But somehow even then, it seems

as if I'm missing something

It's the people

It's the college life

It's the uphill struggle


It's the pleasure of knowing

that I can do it on my own

That I have something others don't

That I can be an important part of

some business or corporation

That I can make a lot of money.


So surely I want to go to college

And get a big degree

And get a job I like a lot

But what could it be?


I do not want the rat race

or the pressure or the bother

I do want to enjoy my life

But will I find enjoyment in

learning?


Who am I?

Where am I in my life?

Why was I the one chosen

to go through all this strife?

1 comments:

A.E. Bayne said...

Everything in life is cyclical; and there's something to learn with each turn. Such sadness here; but also an unburdening of that sadness, which is the turning point toward healing.