CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Trilogy: 2. The Victory

[These are three writings from my senior year in high school. They are still so relevant in my life today, and I thought my readers would like to see them also.]


II. The Victory


Do you see the glory on my face?

Can you tell I'm free?

Have you noticed the rusted chains

That have fallen down from me!?


I am free! I am free!

My life as a senior

Which had grown its vines

of doubt and fear around me

Has finally been declared

a Glorious victory.


By blindly slashing the undergrowth

I have made it thus far,

But when I opened my eyes,

when the end was near

I became frightened by what I saw:

Thorny bushes and snaring moss

threatened to choke me;

Snakes slithering from far-off places

threatened to kill me.


I saw the light through the

closely-meshed branches:

The end was in sight.

But before the light loomed

the obstacles, and they began to haunt me.


I realized how exhausted I was.

How utterly and thoroughly tired I was.

Both body and soul cried out in pain.

I looked down — my blade was dull;

I looked behind me — I could no longer see

the trail I had blazed —

I only noticed a glimpse of wildflowers

That I had neglected on the way.

I looked around me — I was alone

And I cried out — for the missed beauty,

for the cuts and bruises now exhibited all over my soul,

for the jungle still ahead —

for the pain.


And I stopped

a weary traveler wanting some sleep

Wanting to drift on the tide

Instead of working any more.


But the thought of drifting on forever,

with nary a dream in sight,

exhausted me too, for I realized —

it takes energy to stay afloat.


And I sat there — the vines growing around

me like chains — tangling me farther

because of my hesitation and inaction.

Sometimes I would try to break free —

But my fatigued limbs were slow,

My sword dull, and I lost hope.

Many times I tried to break free;

Many times I thought I wouldn't care

If I just sat there,

But somehow I knew I could not do this.


Oh the pain! Oh the anguish!

If you only knew

The fire in my spirit was fighting its death.


Then I stopped,

tired of the struggle

I lay down and went to sleep.

I slept for a week,

ignoring the problems looming around and ahead of me.


I slept — fitfully at first,
and then eased into a coma-like slumber
Dead to the world.


A sound awoke me —

A sound from my past.

Muted by time,

it was almost unheard.

But it awoke the very soul of my being

The part that said — "This is you,

This is your destiny"

And I knew I could be strong again.


And when I opened my eyes I saw

another way out — one that had

been there all along.

For, as I lay on the ground,

I was looking at the sky.


I laughed a little to myself,

as I unloaded my burdens

and set down my sword. I reached up

I took hold of an overhanging branch,

and I pulled myself up.


From here I could see the end!

From here I could say

I have not been beaten!

Sitting in that tree, I contemplated

for a while and realized

that balance is very important,

something I would have to learn

To survive this life.


I pulled up my sword, and found

it had been sharpened somewhat;

I smiled as I realized it had never been dull.


Right now, as I hack my way

through the obstacles in my way,

there are some I must step over.

I cannot concentrate wholly

on the vines,

for I have been picking a lot

more flowers lately.

And I am standing up straighter

now, too

so that the light shines on my face

and sparkles in my eyes.


I am still hacking away,

but I am at peace;

I am free!

0 comments: