"Every object persists in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless it is compelled to change that state by forces impressed upon it."
Newton's First Law of Motion, it seems to me, is not just a physical law, but an emotional and a spiritual law as well. Our ways, our habits, our reactions are difficult to change. In fact, we don't have a reason to change them until something outside of us acts counter to it. Something outside of us--yet perhaps this could also be something inside of us, just outside of our normal consciousness.
I didn't change an unhealthy eating habit until confronted with the consequence of a high-risk level of cholesterol a few years ago. I didn't acknowledge a deep desire of my soul until years of repressed anger and stress manifested as illness and depression. I didn't challenge my belief in a patriarchal and suppressive dogma until my dark years of the soul led my fearful self, gently one step at a time, into the light of authenticity, power, and love.
So, I wonder, why is it when I start something that I really enjoy, does it sometimes take more than one push to keep me going? Is it simply a matter of overcoming inertia, until this new activity becomes a habit? Or is it a matter of finding that place of balance, where I have equal time to relax 'mindlessly' as well as to be engaged mindfully? Perhaps in time I will find my formula. I have found that freeing up time in one's schedule is an open invitation for the Universe to offer an opportunity to fill it back in again. I need to remember to schedule 'me' time. And even to define what that is.
I also need to allow myself to change my mind, without guilt, at any point when needed. I forgot my dance class one week because it was still new to my routine and I was out of my routine since my car was in the shop. I missed the next week because I needed a nap. Perhaps I would have been happy if I had gone, but that nap made me pretty happy too. What I need to be mindful of is --when do I withdraw from activities from a place of authenticity, and when do I withdraw because it is something new, different, and slightly out of my comfort zone? Is my reaction from love (self-care) or from fear? How can I help myself overcome inertia, even emotional inertia, and really go after what I want?
Tonight I started a joined a new yoga class initiated by a friend. The location is a beautiful setting which certainly enhances the experience. Also, having beautiful women there that I already know and trust will help me overcome Monday-night inertia. Just seeing them is medicine for my heart. I'm hoping that this will become a much-looked forward to part of my routine. Yoga bunnies, unite!



0 comments:
Post a Comment