CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pain as a teacher

Last night, I had a bout of heartburn, and even after taking medicine, I was in pain for over an hour. I finally went to bed, propped up by many pillows, intending to go to sleep as I knew eventually I would despite the pain, and later wake up without it.

I recollected how I had a flare-up of heartburn episodes last year not long after I moved out of my old house. At that time I had felt moved to focus on my solar plexus chakra and what it symbolized: personal power and individuality. I thought perhaps that I need to pay attention to that again with this heartburn. After all, heartburn pain is literally right at the solar plexus, a tight ball of burning pain in the center of self. And last night I thought, then instinctively said out loud, “Pain, you need to get out of my body and into my mind so that I can know what I need to deal with.” The physical pain in my lower esophagus immediately went away. I was very grateful but did not have an immediate epiphany or thought of anything at that time. It was this afternoon, talking with a friend, that I realized that the pain had done exactly what I asked: gone into my head to show me where I need to work.

Today is the start of my three-day weekend. I love that I get three work holidays within the space of a month: the Christmas, New Year’s, and Martin Luther King Jr. holidays, and this year it translated into three 3-day weekends. However, I have been a bit nervous that I would ‘waste’ my time off like so often I feel I do. I need to rest, so I rest, and then I feel guilty about it later. I have a long list of things to do that compete for my attention, and feeling overwhelmed, I procrastinate and feel guilty about that too. I’ll get some of it done, and say to myself “but I didn’t get that done.” It’s a damned “damned if I do, damned if I don’t” mentality. So that is how my weekend started: first with a girl’s night—which was great but perhaps in the back of my mind I was feeling guilty about not getting something on my list done, an episode of heartburn, and this morning the overwhelmed-ness and not knowing where to throw my energy first.

And, I realized, these feelings of guilt have been with me a very long time. They stem from low self-worth issues which I have long worked on. Somewhere along the line I made an agreement that my worth is tied up with what I do or don’t do and that has been reinforced in my life. And I have reinforced it with my inner conversations. It is time to change my thinking. I have dreams, yes, and I need to work towards them, yes, but whether or not I accomplish any part of them does not make me any less wonderful. “Give yourself a break,” is something I have repeatedly heard over the past few years from my friends, my therapist, and my own inner guidance. And why have I been hearing that, over and over for a few years? Evidently I still don’t believe that I deserve a break. I am still too hard on myself. I am still seeking that balance between doing and being; that place of enjoying each moment, every moment. Without the guilt, thank you very much.

So thank you, pain, for revealing where I am out of sync with Truth.

2 comments:

A.E. Bayne said...

Hrmmmmm? Doing laundry always forces me to take time for myself. I do hope you can allow yourself some time for relaxation, but I'm sure we've all been there. There is a pervasive sense of "must work harder, better, faster" than the other guy in our society, when rest and time to reflect is equally important. Good luck (and if you figure it out, let me know).

Christie said...

I can relate to this dilemma between being and doing, being hard on yourself in the process. Isn't it beautiful that you can express this and in expressing it, unite with others who understand it so well. May all of us who deal with this support one another in knowing that "we're enough", in face we are more than enough, just in our being. I'm here to support your knowing of it.