I don't understand violence and I don't understand hatred. This weekend's shooting (read first-hand accounts) in Knoxville hit close to home, since I am a part of the Unitarian Universalist community. Tonight my church, the UU Fellowship of Fredericksburg, held a candlelight vigil in love and support of the Knoxville community. We took our candles outside where we sang "This little light of mine" and "Tomorrow" from Annie. We shared our thoughts and grief. There was a powerful feeling of strength and solidarity between us and with the larger UU community.
I remember similar feelings of shock and grief when the shooting at the Amish school happened nearly two years ago (not to mention the VA Tech shooting, also so close to home). Who would want to harm the Amish, some of the most peaceful people in the world? My church was deeply touched by their response of forgiveness and love, and that is again the feeling that is emanating from Knoxville during this difficult time. Indeed, the front-page quote on the Tennessee Valley UU Church's website reads:"Love is the spirit of this church and service is its law. This is our great covenant: to live together in peace, to seek the truth in love, and to help one another." ~ James Vila Blake
I was also touched by the observations of Annette Marquis, our district executive, who I met a few weeks ago at a leadership conference at my church. She has been helping the Knoxville UU community, and her experiences give a first-hand look at the response there. I encourage you to take a look. If you are also inclined to leave your thoughts and prayers for the Knoxville community, a blog and a Facebook group have been set up for that purpose.
A special note of thanks in my heart goes out to the members of Second Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, as well as the larger interfaith community, who opened their arms and hearts wide for the TVUUC members during and after this tragedy.
~~~
Unitarian Universalism comes from a rich historical faith tradition and are bound by seven principles, which include a belief in the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We welcome those from all faith (and non-faith) traditions, and there are those in my congregation who would call themselves Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, Hindu, and more, as well as those who would prefer not to be labeled at all. Our greatest bond is our love and respect for each other. I truly believe that when we act in Love, we are expressing the same Spirit, the same Source, the same God, no matter what name we give to it. In the immortal words of Mason Jennings (my new favorite singer/songwriter), "Look deep in your heart and know that we are one."
"Let us commit ourselves to living out our theology. Let us celebrate being part of a reasonable and a passionate faith--a faith that requires us to engage deeply with moral questions. This work is difficult and the discoveries will be different for each of us, but we must always remember that is is through our most human quality, the ability to love, that we can touch the Divine. So may it be, and Amen."


3 comments:
Thank you for the links and info about your faith. I've been interested in it for awhile, and I do understand how difficult it is to articulate. A friend in the UU faith got married last year, and I was touched and moved by the ceremony. I plan to do a bit more research thanks to you.
Um...that sounded very formal and quite unlike me. So here you go:
John Cusack is my boyfriend!!
Lucky man...
Post a Comment